Greenpeace is in search of a technologist to join a team that is building a global platform to connect activists and advocates with opportunities to impact the climate crisis.
Greenpeace International is seeking a hardworking Product Owner to join our diverse international team, working on our flagship engagement system “Planet 4,” which is built on WordPress.
You will help us to ensure that Greenpeace uses WordPress to deliver our engagement strategy and help build people-powered campaigns to:
- Inspire, mobilise and engage millions of people to campaign alongside of us
- Reach and empower more of society to be directly involved in our work
- Deepen supporters’ engagement and contributions to our campaigns
This is an exciting opportunity for someone with experience of working in software development or technology project management, especially around content management systems and supporter engagement tools. It’s a fast paced role that requires skill, passion, and initiative. You will be a person with strong conceptual and problem-solving abilities, as well as a vision for how campaigning organisations can use the web to engage supporters and inspire change in the world.
We are ideally looking for a superb communicator, able to flourish in a culturally diverse environment, who enjoys working collaboratively to achieve common goals. You should also have experience working with WordPress, ideally in a similar role.
This is a full time permanent position, working closely with our global team who are dispersed across all timezones. Location for this role may be at any established Greenpeace Organisation (subject to agreement).
As our Planet 4 Product Owner, you will:
- Develop and maintain an achievable product roadmap that acts as a guide for the product development team and communicates tradeoff decisions between scope and schedule
- Create, refine and prioritise user stories, based on the product roadmap and submissions from the user community, to maintain a healthy backlog of features for development
- Provide strategic direction to the development team(s), coordinating the delivery of product features according to priority and best-case resource utilisation
- Build positive relationships with (and between) the global product team, local domain experts, and decision makers in key leadership positions
- Constantly evaluate the evolving needs of the user community and review the performance and suitability of the product against these requirements
- Engage and coordinate external expertise for advanced strategic and technical guidance on potential solutions, as well as execution of product improvements
- Act to ensure that the knowledge and skills of the global product team, relevant vendors, and the global community are appropriately leveraged to support implementations
What we are looking for:
- A track record (5 years +) of successfully developing & delivering engagement systems
- Experience with WordPress - Advanced WordPress Administration is a must, github repo management and open-source experience is a plus
- Technical and conceptual understanding of content management systems, including analytics (Tag Manager, Analytics and Optimise), user experience design, digital engagement, social sharing, storytelling and information distribution needs
- Experience with Agile / Scrum, experience as a Scrum Product Owner a strong plus
- Proven ability to work with technical staff and understand the details of what they are doing
- Superb writing and presentation skills, especially in translating complex technical information into easy-to-consume content
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written and preferably one other foreign language.
- Ability and willingness to accommodate up to 25% travel
- Opportunities to work in different countries, to challenge yourself with new projects, learn new skills, and work with inspiring, passionate people committed to protecting the planet
- Flexible working hours and opportunities to grow further through training and development
- An annual salary in line with an NGO: €44,462.04-€ 59,282.73 (*including holiday pay - Netherlands only)
Please Note: the salary range listed is for Netherlands ONLY. Actual salary will vary based on location and could be very different from this number. Applicants passing the first round can expect to see a range for their market before any salary negotiation occurs.
Greenpeace is taking action all over the world to protect and conserve the environment and to promote peace. Our volunteers, activists and staff come from all corners of the globe, cover the age spectrum and all walks of life. What they all have in common is their commitment to working for a green and peaceful future for everyone. With creative local actions for the planet they positively affect their communities, their countries, and ultimately, the world at large.
Apply with your CV and Cover Letter (in English) here, telling us why you think you would be a fit for this position.
Application deadline is the 25/11/2019 at 23h59pm CET.
You can click here for a copy of the full job description, and please contact our Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any additional questions about the vacancy or the recruitment process.
Please note: In order to aid to a fair recruitment process, we will only consider applications submitted via our website.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from people regardless of race, colour, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. We welcome and value diversity of people, experiences and perspectives. Our goal is to build a diverse and inclusive team that reflects the global campaigns and countries we serve.