Greenpeace International Global IT unit is seeking a talented PHP Developer to join its new and growing web development team. The Global IT unit provides Global IT services to national and regional offices across Europe, the Americas, Asia & the Pacific and Africa.
This is a project position for 1 year, based in either of established offices in the region of Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Greece and Amsterdam.
As a PHP Developer, you will be working on the conception and rollout of a brand new version of Greenpeace flagship websites based on the Wordpress CMS. You will also be developing, review, testing and deployment of websites, themes and plugins, as well as supporting end users and resolve bugs.
Your main responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Writing well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices;
- Integrating data from various back-end services and databases;
- Developing enhancements and resolve bugs as part of the product release lifecycle;
- Designing, developing and testing ETL / integration scripts to allow data migration and integration with other CMS and CRM systems;
- Performing code review of 3rd party developed themes and plugins, make recommendation about possible performance and security improvements;
- Identifying performance bottlenecks, propose and implement solutions;
- Participating in the design of new feature and change requests and discuss technical feasibility;
- Writing technical specifications and documentation to facilitate development and maintenance of the platform;
- Cooperating with web designers to match visual design intent;
- Creating, deploying and maintaining automation tools to streamline development, testing, deployment and monitoring processes;
- Writing functional and unit tests in order to facilitate user acceptance testing and prevent regressions;
- Releasing code to the staging and production environments;
- Assisting end user technical questions and troubleshooting new issues;
- Staying abreast of latest technologies/industry trends and proposing new ideas to enhance usability and performance.
What we are looking for:
- A Bachelor degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field is preferable
- 5+ years experience a PHP developer working on high traffic websites, including a significant experience with WordPress is ideal
- Strong understanding of Object Oriented Programming, MVC and other common design patterns
- Proficient writing and optimising SQL queries
- Expert in front-end development: HTML5/CSS3, CSS preprocessors, JS task runners
- Proficient working with (and some experience designing) APIs driven services
- Experience working using Agile/Scrum methodology
- Familiarity with web usability standards and cross-browser compatibility issues
- Strong understanding of testing methodologies, test driven development and related continuous integration tools
- Excellent problem solving skills and keen attention to details is ideal
- Commitment and drive to learn new methods and technologies
- Excellent communication skills: Must be fluent in English (both verbal and written), an additional language is an advantage
- Experience working for a non-profit organisation and/or engaged with causes
- An active contributor to open source, or interested in becoming one
- Experience working as part of a remote team
What we offer:
- Being part of a stimulating, challenging international organisation committed to protect the planet
- Being a member of a fun and dedicated IT team, all striving to reach the same goals and supporting each other along the way
- An annual salary in line with an NGO
Greenpeace is an independent global campaigning network that acts to change attitudes and behaviour, to protect and conserve the environment and to promote peace. It consists of 26 independent national/regional organisations in over 55 countries across Europe, the Americas, Africa, Asia and the Pacific as well as a co-ordinating body (not headquarters) Greenpeace International. Our application of non-violence goes beyond mere physical harm to encompass verbal aggression, threats, gratuitous property damage and environmental harm. Risk-taking is part of our identity and an inherent part of our work; we aim to take only “smart” risks. Greenpeace International assumes a moral duty of care over our risk-takers that extends beyond our legal obligations to reflect full solidarity with those taking risks.
Want to join us? We would like to meet you!
Apply with your CV and Cover Letter (in English), telling us why you think you would be a great fit for this position. Please contact our Recruiter at email@example.com should you have any additional questions about the vacancy or the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is 28th October 2018.
Please note: In order to aid to a fair recruitment process, we will only consider applications submitted via our website.