Greenpeace is an independent global campaigning network that acts to change attitudes and behaviour to protect and conserve the environment and to promote peace. Greenpeace is present in more than 55 countries across Europe, the Americas, Asia, Africa and the Pacific.
Greenpeace International (GPI) is the global coordinating organisation of the network is located in the Netherlands and is now looking for an Associate Legal Counsel to provide legal advice on organisational issues. This is a full-time position, to be based in Amsterdam, for a period of 5 months only, covering the sabbatical leave of the current Associate Legal Counsel’s from August to December 2018.
As an Associate Legal Counsel, you will advise on projects with a legal scope, taking into account legislation & governance rules, in order to protect GPI’s organisation and its assets and to further GPI’s objectives, in collaboration with the Legal Counsel Organisation and General Counsel.
Your main responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Legal review of major contracts to be used in units across GPI;
- Providing legal advice and support and contribute to the development and implementation of internal policies and practices;
- Develop and maintain relationships with Greenpeace internal and external legal network, train and facilitate skill-sharing;
- Develop and provide training for GPI staff and for national and regional Greenpeace organisations on relevant legal topics;
- Manage legal information systems, legal intranet website, library and mailing lists, in order to ensure centralised and accessible legal information.
What are we looking for:
- University (master) and/or a postgraduate degree in law
- Minimum 3 years work experience as a professional lawyer, preferably in an international context
- Knowledge of Dutch Civil law is an advantage
- Fluent English, both written and spoken, additional languages are an advantage
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours when necessary e.g. due to work across time zones
- Being part of a stimulating, challenging international organisation at the cutting edge of the struggle to protect the planet
- Being a member of a committed team, all striving to reach the same goals and supporting each other along the way
- A salary and reward package in line with Greenpeace salary scales and your experience
Greenpeace is taking action all over the world for our planet’s future. Our volunteers, activists and staff come from all corners of the globe, cover the age spectrum and come from all walks of life. What they all have in common is their dedication to working for a green and peaceful future for everyone. With creative local actions for the planet they positively affect their communities, their countries, and ultimately, the world at large.
Do you want an engaging and challenging role within the largest independent, direct action environmental organisation in the world? We look forward to receiving your CV and Cover Letter in English by clicking on the apply button before the application deadline!
Application deadline is the 31st of May at 23:59 (CEST).
For additional questions about the vacancy or the recruitment process, you can contact our Recruitment team at email@example.com.
Please note: In order to aid to a fair recruitment process, we will only consider applications submitted via our website.